Penguin Random House UK has today revealed the 30 book cover designs shortlisted as part of its annual Student Design Award.
Now in its eleventh year, the free to enter Student Design Award (open to all students studying on Further Education or Higher Education courses, regardless of their degree or institution) aims to find the next generation of book cover designers by giving students the opportunity to experience real cover design briefs first-hand.
The competition sees aspiring student designers reimagine iconic book covers across the award’s three categories: Adult Fiction, Adult Non-Fiction and Children’s. This year’s book titles are:
§ Adult Fiction Cover Award – To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
§ Adult Non-Fiction Cover Award – In Cold Blood by Truman Capote
§ Children’s Cover Award – The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole Aged 13 ¾ by Sue Townsend
The 30 cover designs (10 shortlisted in each category) were chosen from more than 2,100 submissions.
The winners in each of the three categories will receive a work placement within the Penguin Random House UK design studios, as well as a £1,000 cash prize.
Art Directors from Penguin Random House will now provide each of the shortlisted designers with detailed feedback on their covers, giving the students the chance to refine and resubmit their designs before the final judging takes place in June.
The judging panel is made up of Art Directors from across Penguin Random House UK as well as guest judges from the design and publishing industry, including Sarah Hyndman, David Pearson, Chris Packham and Rathna Ramanthan.
Announcing the shortlisted designs, Tom Weldon, CEO, Penguin Random House, said:
“At Penguin Random House we have a proud design heritage and many of our covers are recognised the world over. Designers play a vital role in bringing to life some of the world’s best-loved books and helping to tell our authors’ stories. This award celebrates standout cover design and offers valuable experience to passionate and creative young people. I am always impressed with the quality of submissions and this year’s designers have produced some fantastic designs.”
The Shortlisted Student Designers are:
Adult Fiction Cover Award
· Yusuf Athman – University Centre, Stockport College
· Maria Isabelle Becker – Central Saint Martins, UAL
· Klara Block – Cambridge School of Art, Anglia Ruskin University
· Cristina Cid – Swansea College of Art, UWTSD
· Madalyn Farley – Kingston University
· Joss Humberstone – Glasgow School of Art
· Max Low – Hereford College of Arts
· Linde Raats – University of the West of Scotland (Erasmus) / Artevelde University College Ghent
· Harry Woodgate – Arts University Bournemouth
· Lemeng Xue – Nottingham Trent University
Adult Non-Fiction Cover Award
· Matthew Barnard – University of Northampton
· Silje Bergum – University of Hertfordshire
· Eva Freeman – London College of Communication, UAL
· Lina Jabbari – University of Greenwich
· Elliot Lee – University of Northampton
· Connor Lyon – Cardiff Metropolitan University
· José María González Sánchez – Falmouth University
· Sophie Smart – Sheffield Hallam University
· Luke Smith – Coventry University
· Joel Williams – Cardiff Metropolitan University
Children’s Cover Award
· Carly Ayre – University of Northampton
· Emily Chaffer – Leeds College of Art
· Tin Sum Tiffany Chau – University of Gloucestershire
· Paulina Chromik – Plymouth College of Art
· Beth Ewens – Leeds College of Art
· Holly Knowles – University of Hertfordshire
· Alysha Moxom – Bath Spa University
· Charlotte Murray – Cardiff Metropolitan University
· Joseph Wheeler – Central Saint Martin’s, UAL
· Stuart Wilson – Gray’s School of Art, Robert Gordon University